Pindrop Silence!!

‘Pindrop silence,’ she said. Her tone firm, her manner sharp, her piercing eyes peering down at us above a drooping pair of spectacles. She wanted the assignment finished and submitted in the next 5 minutes. No discussion was required, neither thinking. We just had to reproduce facts from the boring history textbook. My fingers played mindless games with my pen as it twirled and twisted, rolled back and forth in classic gymnastic movements. I was trying to remember the number of pillars in the temple architecture of this lost clan that existed far back in time. Was I ever going to visit this place? Meet these people? Would I be using the same number of pillars if I were to design a building some day? Who knows, I may be an architect like my father… issshhh the bell!

Our school bell screeches me back into the present classroom dealing with past facts while I dream of the future… phew! now that’s convoluted. Isn’t it? I can’t remember half the things here and now this assignment has to sit on the teacher’s desk rather than mine. She would put another nasty red mark on this one too. I just wish my father doesn’t attend this Parents’ meeting to be humiliated for my follies yet again.

Oh no! and here comes Mrs. Dandapani, our Mathematics teacher. She loves to paint my notebooks red and yes I already know I am terrible at this. You don’t have to remind me every single day! ‘ Mathematics needs practice.’ Oh yes, I practice and I work very hard trying to do the same sums over and again. I seem to get nowhere though. She too wants some more equations sorted from this chapter on Algebraic Equations. ‘Pindrop silence,’ there she goes again…

Those were some ramblings from my school days. I happened to be an ‘out-standing student’ usually found standing punished outside the class or practising for school co-curricular events simply to skip lessons of teachers I didn’t like. Talkative me couldn’t sit there in silence for 8 long hours for sure. Notorious me spent that energy finding ways to disrupt the lack-lustre school routine. I found positive as well as negative ways out. From Leadership Training service, sports, dance and dramatics to leaving a burning cigarette in the Biology lab skeleton’s mouth, school days made for interesting tales throughout.

Here I am now, on the other side of the fence. Ooops I am a mother, a teacher! And well, I seem to remember zilch out of whatever I crammed to get those good marks at school. Yes, I managed to score those. Wasn’t it supposed to prepare me for life? Why do I feel so ill-prepared then for everything?

Standard

49 thoughts on “Pindrop Silence!!

1. Deepa Sinha says:

Very well written…..took me back to my school days….could actually visualize the history period….the most fearful one…😂😂but yes school days….the most lovely n beautiful part of one’s life…😊

2. Rini Walter says:

Hey! You are really good at it… The flow, the consistency of the thought process…. Thanks for the share. Wish to read more. … N more often.

3. Retika says:

Beautifully written Amrita. You are one multi talented woman… mother, teacher, mentor, guide and so many more roles all in one. I don’t know how you do it! So glad to have crossed paths with you. You are truly an inspiration 👍🏻👏🏻🙏🏻😊💕

4. Mana Malhotra says:

Beautifully explained..Amrita u must keep writing such wonderful experience that were shared in school days…the best moments…..went down to the memory lane of my school days…You are truly an awesome writer👌👌👌👌👍👍👍👍👍

5. Asha Narayanan says:

Ask today’s child and am sure his ramblings several years down the line would still perhaps be the same. That’s what you may also call ‘writing history (pun intended).’

6. Anonymous 2 says:

Its a wonderful start. Do keep writing and turn it into a series and give answers to your own questions..like wh do you feel so ill prepared? something which a lot of teaching fraternity wud want to know!

7. Peter Lugg says:

Poignantly reflective with phrases of piercing wit and irony! An encapsulation of a collective memory of shared school experiences!

• Dr Amrita says:

Thanks. I am glad you liked it. Just regular scribbling in my diary has now moved to this virtual space. Will keep writing. It works like meditation. Distressed and energises

8. Bhawna Aneja says:

Everyone can relate this to. Beautifully created the character and connected the links. Looking forward for more writings. All the best!!

9. Indranil Gupta says:

Very insightful and poignant moments were created and the journey down memory lane with you was wonderful and nostalgic. Keep writing Amrita. I feel elated that I have had the opportunity to meet you and discuss education with you once. Hope our paths will cross again.

10. Roopali says:

You brought back old memories of our good old times at St. Mary’s.
    Recall and write about your days at school as a new member of 10 B family…

11. Megha kambhiri says:

“Our school bell screeches me back into the present classroom dealing with past facts while I dream of the future…”
    “Wasn’t it supposed to prepare me for life? Why do I feel so ill-prepared then for everything?”
    😊 nicely written..and I could relate so well

12. Anonymous says:

From a dedicated mom to an inspiring trainer …. to now a budding blogger 😊
    All the best Amrita 👍💐
    It sure is a walk down the memory lane…….

13. Ritu Chopra says:

From a dedicated mom to an inspiring trainer …. to now a budding blogger 😊
    All the best Amrita 👍💐
    It sure is a walk down the memory lane…….

14. Pooja Prasad says:

Such a touching piece of writing….actually forces you to think beyond the obvious..particularly loved the meaning of outstanding …:)

15. Anonymous says:

This is great writing Amrita! Way to go and keep more of them coming…!
    Took me down the memory lane…. to my boarding school days…the difference being punishment meant writing hundred lines of apology and a serious offence led to three rounds of our sports field.Don’t know what good it did, but we still managed to have fun if we had companions. Come to think of it, I did have a few teachers who were ahead of time, I am grateful to them for shaping my life.The likes of Mrs. Dandapani have and always will be there….

16. Syed F Sattar says:

“…screeches me back into the present classroom dealing with past facts while I dream of the future…”
    Experienced quite similar.
    Routines of school used to ‘interfere’ in learning except informal discussion with few teachers which ‘intervened’ in learning, that benefited us greatly.

Thanks for sharing enriching thoughts.

17. Vandana Khera says:

This is great writing Amrita! Way to go and keep more of them coming…!

18. Umang says:

What a beautiful depiction of words to express upon such a sweet and glorious journey!! Many congratulations on this yet another feather in the cap 😉

19. Kaadambari Muttoo says:

Loved reading it, Amrita particularly your quip about ‘out-standing student’! My elder daughter was often called a daydreamer and not focused in class. I realise now that she was bored stiff!

20. Shweta Juneja says:

Thanks for the wonderful posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it. Dr. Vohra, you can be a great author.

I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will come back later on to read many more.

Continue to do such awesome work!